We are happy to announce the following 3 CCBIO Research School courses for the spring term, and note that if you will join and need the ECTS, registration deadline is February 1st.
Registration for ECTS participation is the same for all 3 courses:
• If you are already enrolled at the University of Bergen (UiB), you apply/register through Studentweb.
• If you are not enrolled at the UiB but want the ECTS, you apply/register through Søknadsweb, where you simultaneously apply for UiB guest student status.
CCBIO908—Scientific Writing and Communication Seminar
April 12-15 2021 (4 half days, from ca. 11.00), digital event in Zoom.
The course is part of the CCBIO/INTPART program. We will look into topics such as Organizing your ideas and improving your manuscript, Clear writing, The Art of Scientific Story Telling, The problem statement, Titles and Abstracts, Punctuation, Making a manuscript memorable, Writing a convincing cover letter, and How to avoid death by PowerPoint.
• Christine Møller, an experienced lecturer in medical and scientific writing with many years of experience as assistant editor of APMIS.
• Randy Watnick, assistant professor at the Vascular Biology Program, Harvard Medical School.
• Media Advisor Marion Solheim will be adding a lecture on science presentation, showing how to make a presentation stick – in a good way.
Who: Open for all. Note that if the course gets fully booked (and it has every time before), participants are included based on first come, first served. ECTS/Registration: This course provides 2 ECTS. The deadline for ECTS providing registration is February 1, 2021. Application through studentweb/søknadsweb, see above. If you don’t need the ECTS registered as part of an education/degree, and just want professional updates, you register through this link, with deadline March 1, 2021. Elisabeth Wik is coordinating the INTPART program. Course coordinator is email@example.com, and academic responsible is Yamila Torres Cleuren. More info: at this page.
CCBIO903 Cancer research: Ethical, economic and social aspects
Course week 1: May 31 to June 4, 2021, and course week 2: September 6-10, 2021. On-site lectures/discussions, campus Haukeland University Hospital.
CCBIO903 focuses on ethical, economical and societal aspects of cancer and cancer research and aims to equip PhD candidates with tools for systematic reflection on their own and related research as well as methods for assessing the cost benefit of health measures and methods of treatment.
The course will address difficult questions:
• How can we deal with the uncertainties in the lab, while maintaining the quality of our science?
• Which drug is more suited to a patient?
• How can medical science contribute to debates on what is good for society?
• How can economic models help guide health care resource allocation?
Who: Open for all. PhD candidates, master students and students at the Medical Student Research Programme are particularly encouraged to register. ECTS/Registration: This is a 5 ECTS course. Deadline for ECTS providing registration is February 1, 2021. Application through studentweb/søknadsweb, see above. John Cairns, Roger Strand and Anne Blanchard Bremer are academic responsible for the course. Administrative coordinator is Kjetil Utvik Harkestad. More info: at this page.
BMED904—Graduate course in Extracellular Matrix
June 07-11, 2021
The course will cover various aspects of extracellular matrix (ECM) biology. A recurring theme will be the roles of the various ECM molecules and their functions in health and disease.
See preliminary program.
Note, due to the uncertainty regarding the Covid-19 situation, the course is planned to combine face-to-face “seat time” for students attending in Bergen with online presentations of all lectures and lab demonstrations.
Who: Open for all. PhD candidates, master students and students at the Medical Student Research Programme are particularly encouraged to register. ECTS/Registration: This is a 3 ECTS course. Deadline for ECTS providing registration is February 1, 2021. Application through studentweb/søknadsweb, see above. If you don’t need the ECTS registered as part of an education/degree, and just want professional updates, please register here. Academic responsible are Marion Kusche-Gullberg and Donald Gullberg. Administrative coordinator is Margarethe Bittins. More info: at this page.